Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Where I'm From

 

I am from mountains, from Kraft mac & cheese and home made ice cream.

I am from the tree shaded white house on Grassy Lane.

I am from the spring lilacs, the summer gladiolas, and silent winter snows.

I am from family reunions in the mountains of Preston Country, from Grandpa Leland and Grandma 
Ethel and the Sypolts and Bolyards.

I am from generations of farmers who love the land.

From “You're only as good as your word,” and “Were you born in a barn?”

I am from a church on the side of the road, an old fashioned pastor who preached fire and brimstone, 
love and salvation.

I am from church dinners in his front yard, creek baptisms, and revivals.

I'm from years and years of church camps and friends that you do the craziest things with.

I'm from West Virginia, from the highlands of Preston County, and the “lowlands” of Lewis.

From the way that both of my grandfathers did all they could to own their farms, the long hours they spent on the land, and the hallowed peace of back porch sittin'.

I am from family bibles, and crates of old photos, cracked and split, handled with care.  

I am from corn cakes, and lasagna, and 50 year old recipes.

I am from a Dresden plate quilt, hand pieced and hand stitched, and from crocheted afghans, marked with a grandmother’s love.

From an insatiable thirst for good stories, from Narnia, Gallifrey, Randland, and the power of your imagination.

I’m from sunflowers in Hungary, the people of Nepal, and the city life of Buenos Aires.

I am from a wanderlust that leads me to every corner of the world, and a connection to the land that 
will always bring me back.

I am a West Virginian.



12 comments:

  1. This is an excellent video! I loved that you used multiple pictures per slide. I also loved that everything came back to West Virginia. I didn't know much about Preston county and this video definitely educated me a little bit. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your video was very well put together. I can tell that you put a lot of time and effort into it. I can definitely relate to you and your family in a lot of ways. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved your video! I especially liked the song you chose! I thought of using the same song as well! I loved all the church photos. That is so great how involved your family is. I enjoyed the old photos and recipes as well. I can see that you put a lot of thought into this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learned that you are from farmers, I think that is really great!!! My family has lots of old pictures too. Best thing about the video was how you incorporated your faith and made it a big part of the video, I loved that. People around here are proud of their faith and thats why I love West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the song you used for your video!! So pretty. I am from Preston County as well, I live closer to Tucker County near Silver Lake and Mt. Grove. I learned that corn cakes exist. We also made buckwheat cakes never heard of corn ones, but im sure they are yummy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy neighbor! So nice to know someone else from the Preston neck of the woods! My lovely wife grew up in Pisgah, and I'm a transplant now to Preston. You're video was simply wonderful. My family along with my wife's family has a deep devotion in our faith. I can relate to every picture in your video. Everything flowed together so nicely! I wonderful job indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittany,
    Even though I do not know you, I feel as if I do now. WOW! What a great story. I LOVED your use of Á thousand years' (its one of my favorites). I also love to travel and have a great appreciation for nature. I even have great big family reunions in Preston County as well. Even though I do not know you, your story nearly brought me to tears. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing I learned about you is you love where you come from.
    Your family is similar to mine because I also grew up on mac n' cheese and ice cream. It was my favorite things as a child.
    The best thing about your digital story were all of the photos you used of your family.
    Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can tell that you put a lot of hard work into your digital story. You seem to be very close to your family and I'm sure that just like myself, after making this video, you sat and reminisced about all the memories you included and it made you appreciate this assignment. I also am very partial to spring lilac as it has to be my favorite scent from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu put alot of work into this. Great job!! This really brought back alot of memories to you didnt it? This you can tell is everythign you miss about growing up in simple life in WV

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job putting this video together. I get the feeling you love nature from the pictures you used. I also grew up on kraft macn cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! The music was beautiful and set a perfect timing for your words and images! I loved the image of the old letters with the words "you are only as good as your word". The ending was perfect as you transitioned from telling about your world travels to coming home again! I got teary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete